Measuring and forecasting rainfall using radar hydrometeorology
CALAMAR is a software system that provides real-time measurement and short-term forecasting of rainfall on each square kilometre of a given area covered by radar hydrometeorology.
CALAMAR is a genuine decision-making tool; combined with probabilistic (risk indicator) or deterministic (rainfall flow) models, it enables forecasting of rainstorms which is sufficiently accurate to allow time to act in-field.
- Precision: radar data calibrated using rainfall data from homogeneous zones,
- Reliability: system chosen by flood prevention agencies in the most exposed Mediterranean regions.
- Security: redundancy of radar data acquisition resources, detection of faulty raingauges,
- Transparency: the procedure was patented in 1992; it is thus clearly described and has been the subject of many publications.
- Geared to operational requirements: CALAMAR forecasting enables sufficient anticipation of events to allow operational personnel time to respond (1-3 hours).
- Many references in France (Flood Forecasting Agencies, Towns and Urban Districts, Départements, etc) and in the USA.
KISTERS CALAMAR offers comprehensive and market-proven functions for the calibration of raw data and precise prediction forecasts.
During real time operation, every five minutes CALAMAR supplies the amount of precipitation fallen over a certain area.
Offline, CALAMAR can be used for detailed analyses of precipitation events. Results are shown in clearly-structured tables and graphs.